Brittany changed up the format a little bit because she wanted to relate the tag to her experience in her English classes (also a big CONGRATS to Brittany for completing her degree!! 🎉), but since I’m not cool enough to be in any English classes I decided to answer the original tag’s questions instead!
1. An overhyped classic you really didn’t like:
I tend to enjoy most the classics I read for one reason or another, but if I had to pick my least favorite it would probably be Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Overall I just had lukewarm feelings about the book in general. 🤷🏻♀️
2. Favorite time period to read about:
I don’t know if I have a favorite time period to read about? I guess the late 18th century since that’s when Jane Austen’s books were written, and she’s my favorite classic author. 😛
3. Favorite fairy-tale:
The Princess and the Pea! I loved this one when I was a kid. 🥰
4. What is the most embarrassed classic you haven’t read yet:
Haha, I’d have to say Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I’ve been meaning to read it for… a long time. 😅 Once I borrowed it from the e-library, opened it up, saw how MASSIVE it was, and immediately returned it (lol).
5. Top 5 classics you would like to read (soon):
I’m just going to name the classics on my bookshelf, because I’m sure I’ll likely read them sooner than any of the other books on my TBR. 😅
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Catcher and the Rye by J. D. Salinger
- 1984 by George Orwell
- To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (just in time for Halloween! 🧟♂️)
6. Favorite modern book/series based on a classic:
I love it when I look up a new book I’ve read recently and find out it’s (either closely or loosely) based on a beloved classic! But my favorite of all time would have to be Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding.
7. Favorite movie version/tv-series based on a classic:
Okay, I have three picks for this one: Firstly, Clueless! What’s not to love? A 90s rom com based on Emma by Jane Austen? It’s my favorite movie of all time! Secondly, She’s the Man because a modern retelling of Twelfth Night is genius (and included a solid amount of queer subtext that preteen me Very Much appreciated). And thirdly, Ever After, because Drew Barrymore is still my absolute favorite Cinderella to ever grace the big screen.
8. Worst classic to movie adaptation:
The adaptation of Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow. 🥴
9. Favorite edition(s) you’d like to collect more classics from:
I’m obsessed with the look of those clothbound Penguin Classics collections. I mean, come on, LOOK at these? Or these?? Absolutely gorgeous. 😙👌 I own literally none of them (have you SEEN the price?!?! I ask in my most Chandler-esc voice), but if I ever win the lottery you know what I’m buying.
10. An underhyped classic you’d recommend to everyone:
Do under-hyped classics even exist? I’m sure there do – but I haven’t read them – so I definitely can’t recommend them. Sorry. 😓
📌 Pin this post on Pinterest:
What about you? Do you have a favorite classic?
A least favorite one?
📔 Let me know! 🔖